Thursday, October 23, 2014

Marathon Challenge Countdown Day 7

October 23, 2014-

Time is flying.....24 days until my marathon, I cannot believe it......Just an update on how I'm doing. Okay my last run was on Sunday, yes I have been resting up the last few days as far as my running goes. Of course, there is a reason for that- during my last 22 miles my ankle started to swell up because of my sneakers being old! So I ordered some new sneakers, and gave my ankles a few days off. My ankle was unsupported for the last several miles in my sneakers and therefore also affected my hip region on that side so I am nursing my aches and pains. My sneakers shall be arriving today so I can rejoin the running community. Sometimes a few extra days of rest are necessary!

Okay so moving on to my challenge, todays exercise is the Downward Dog!

People version: You will start off on all fours in a tabletop position
Next lift one leg up while straightening it
Now lift the other leg up while straightening it as well
You should be the pose now, your legs should be straight- your butt should be up in the air, your heels should be close to the ground yet not touching the ground.

Dog Version #1:
Also called the resting Version of this (for older/ senior or handicap dogs)
Basically your dog will automatically go into this pose
They will be lying on the floor with their paws out in front of them for support with their head up

Dog Version #2:
Also called the playful Version of this (for younger more energenic dogs)
Your dog will go into this pose naturally when saying hey let's play!
You can help your dog into this pose by having a treat in your hand and showing your dog the treat while guiding their front half down while their rear is still up in the air.

 
 


Healthy Tip of the Day:
 
Proper foot protection is a must for not only you BUT your dog as well.
First you should have a good pair of sneakers or comfortable shoes to work out in.
To be honest there is a whole science of foot gear. Knowing your feet is manadatory, whether you need a neutral shoe, or a supported shoe will help those walks or runs be that much more comfortable for you.
Shoes should be replaced every 500 miles or so, of course depending on your shoe. But if you start to feel any discomfort in your feet or hips, etc.....consider replacing your shoes as soon as possible! Something I didn't do until literally the last minute of my shoes.
 
Your dogs also need foot protection.....
they have paw booties to protect your dogs paws from the elements such as extreme hot surfaces, and the opposite extreme cold surfaces. Both surfaces can harm your dogs paws.
 
So before you go out know the surface, the temperature, and that you can protect your dogs paws.
 
They also have a wax to apply to your dogs paws which in my opinion works very well, keep in mind NOT all dogs will like wearing booties on their paws and may walk funny at first as they try to get them off. So if your dog doesn't like the booties you may want to try the wax to protect their paws.
 
Paw Booties


Paw Guard/ Wax
 

Just a reminder not to forget to check out my book:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment